Estimated Monthly Savings: $70
Could you cut your own hair? Doing so could save you a lot of money. According to Square, a mobile transaction company, the average man spends $28 for a haircut, while the average woman spends $44. So, a man who gets his hair cut every two months would be spending $168 a year, while a woman would spend $264. Your average family of four could be spending $768 per year–that’s a whole lot of cash!
Many people worry at-home haircuts won’t look as nice as cuts done in a salon. Here are 5 tips for getting a great cut at home.
1. Start with the right tools. Making a small investment in quality tools will make all the difference in your haircutting experience. With short haircuts, you’ll need hair clippers. Clippers are available at a variety of price points and offer different sizes of blade guards for different hair lengths. You’ll also need a good pair of hair-cutting shears. These are sharp scissors specifically for cutting hair. With long hair, you may want a hair-cutting guide. This can help you cut in a straight line. A handheld mirror may also come in handy.
2. Watch someone first. If you have a friend or family member who cuts hair in their home, ask to watch them next time. You can also watch videos of people cutting hair online. There are many techniques for different types and styles of hair.
3. Keep it simple. Easy styles are best for cutting at home, especially when you’re just starting out. Try trimming an inch or two off from the haircut you already have. Later, when you’re more comfortable cutting hair, you can try a more adventurous new look.
4. Take it slow. If you’re nervous about cutting hair for the first time, remember to go slowly. Cut just a little bit at a time, then step back to assess your work. You can always cut more, but you can’t put hair back.
5. Get some help. Cutting the back of your own hair can be difficult. Ask a friend or family member to cut this difficult area for you.
Cutting hair at home may seem daunting. But once you’ve done it a few times, you’ll gain confidence in your abilities. You’ll look great–and save more of your hard-earned money.