Estimated Monthly Savings: $130
When it comes to saving money at the grocery store, there are many ways to cut costs and get the best deals. Joining store loyalty programs is an excellent way to save some serious cash at the checkout. Here are some of our favorite programs.
- Target: This grocery retailer offers an automatic 5% off with the use of their REDCard. The REDCard is free to apply, has no annual fee, and links to your existing bank account for use as a debit card so you don’t have to worry about finance charges or late fees. Pair that with the Cartwheel app for even more discounts; the app allows you to choose certain products to purchase at varying discounts (anywhere from an additional 5-60% off.)
- Shopko: Shopko’s loyalty members receive 3.3% off their purchases, plus a $10 cash coupon on your birthday. You also get a $10 bonus for every $300 you spend, so the savings can add up quickly if you’re getting the family’s groceries here every week.
- Walmart: Walmart’s loyalty program requires you to apply and be accepted for their credit card, but once you do, you’ll receive 3% off all Walmart.com purchases, 2% off Murphy USA and Walmart gasoline, and 1% off at Walmart stores.
- Walgreens: Walgreens Balance Rewards program is free to join, but the reward structure can be confusing as it’s on a points system as opposed to a strict percentage discount. As a Balance Rewards member, you’ll earn 10 points for every $1 you spend plus bonus points for a rotating selection of items. Point redemption starts at $5 for 5,000 points.
- Sam’s Club/Costco: These bulk retail stores require membership just to get through the door, and membership comes with an annual fee. If you have a larger family or like to buy in bulk, membership usually pays for itself in savings- especially when you’re shopping for baby needs like diapers and formula.
No matter which loyalty programs you choose, you really can’t go wrong. Try a few out and see which best fits your family’s needs. Happy saving!